To create a child variation to root variation we create a new label under Variation Labels [http://newServerName/_Layouts/_Layouts/VariationLabels.aspx] and after this click on Create Hierarchies button on this page.
When timer job “Variations Create Hierarchies Job Definition” runs , it tries to create the child variation site including subsite of child variations. This also includes publishing Pages Library and publishing pages.
Current status can be verified under Variation Logs[http://newServerName/_Layouts/VariationLogs.aspx]
I was trying to use timer job “Variations Create Hierarchies Job Definition” to create a child variation [es-LA] to root variation[en-US] .
But I was getting error (under Variation Logs) :
A new site sub1Site1 did not get created under Label es-LA by the variation system for source site http://newServerName/en-US/sub1Site1. Cannot create Variation site because the parent Publishing web cannot be found. Ensure the parent Publishing web has been spawned and try again.
Pages did not get created under Label es-LA by the variation system for source publishing web http://newServerName/en-US/sub1Site1 because the target publishing web cannot be determined.
Below mentioned solutions did not work for me :
1. Fix the possible misalignments like problem in the relationships list[http://newServerName/Relationships List/AllItems.aspx] using VariationFixUpTool.
2. In the SharePoint file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\cmscore.es-ES.resx (installed by the language pack for Spanish)
Change the value of List_Pages_UrlName as seen below
Save the file. Now go and restart the SharePoint 2010 Timer service. Then create the Spanish Variation. [
Eventhough "List_Pages_UrlName" solution did not work for me for this specifc problem , but with Spanish sites you get funky behaviour out of URLS retrived from Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb.PagesList SPobjects ,
you can give it a try !!!!]
Below mentioned solution worked for me :
1. Disable all custom built features on root variation. (spweb level features)
2. Now create new Label , submit variation creation on Variation Labels and run timer job “Variations Create Hierarchies Job Definition”.
3. I was still facing issue 0×80070057 which is discussed here as a separate thread.
4. After resolving issue 0×80070057 , child variation was created.
5. Now enable all custom built features on both root variation and child variation.